Monday, January 24, 2011

Whale of a Tail

Or tail of a whale?  It is not easy to spot - let alone photograph - humpback whales from the shore!  Finding a grey mammal in a vast grey ocean, often at quite a far distance, takes patience.  I was lucky enough to spot a couple of them breaching off the coast from an overlook just north of Hanauma Bay after watching for about 7-8 minutes.  This was the only photo I managed to get.  North Pacific Humpback Whales leave Alaskan waters each fall - a majority of them make the 3500 mile swim to the warm, shallow waters that surround the Hawaiian islands.  Sightings are common between December and April.  I'll be trying again soon!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I have never seen any kind of whale in person, only on TV or in films. Good luck with your future sightings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul - I hadn't either until I moved here. Last year I took a flight around the Big Island in a very small plane that was able to get close to the water. We saw several pods of whales up close - it was really amazing!

    ReplyDelete